Building a LED Display

tim14996

Building a LED Display

Post by tim14996 »

Hello,

our plan is to build a LED matrix display, but we have some questions:

1) License
We want to use a few MADRIX NEBULA as controllers for the matrix. If we want a matrix with 4096 RGB Pixels, which key we have to buy? Is the basic key the right one or do we need 3x4096 channels (professional key) because RGB are 3 channels?

2) Connection
We just need to connect the computer and the NEBULA-controllers to a LAN-switch, right?

3) FPS
You can connect 2x680 RGB pixels to a NEBULA, but can this reach 50 FPS, so that the images on the matrix are not flickering?

4)LED Strip type
Which type of strip is fast enough? The strip should have 32 LED/m and each LED need to be controlled individually. I´ve found the WS2801 pixels with a speed of 25MHz. I also often found these: https://pa-and-light.com/Eurolite-LED-I ... GwodOC8FMg

But they are contolled over DMX, so the speed ist just 44,1Hz for 512 channels. That means the I just can control 170 Pixel (RGB x 170 = 512) in a row, right?

I prefer the WS2801 because they are cheaper and faster!
If I use 2x 21meter (672 RGB pixel) of WS2801 strips, can I reach 50 FPS?

Thank you
Tim
Guertler
Support
Support

Re: Building a LED Display

Post by Guertler »

Hello tim14996,
Welcome to the MADRIX forum.
To control 4096 RGB SPI pixels you will need 12,288 DMX channels (4096 x 3). That's are 24 DMX universes (12,288 / 512).
That means you will need a MADRIX KEY professional and 3 x MADRIX NEBULA.
To connect the NEBULAs to the PC you should prefere a network connection by using a network switch.
The frame rate on the LEDs are depending on several facts: One fact is of course the Art-Net frame rate. MADRIX and the NEBULA are able to send and receive Art-Net data with a frame rate up to 100 FPS.
The next fact of the frame rate of the LEDs is the used SPI chip. As you can see there are different SPI protocols with different frame rates on the market.
Also the used LEDs have different refresh rates.
All three facts influences the final frame rate and if you can see flickers.
Regarding the best stripe for you we can not give you a recommendation.
The stripe in the link is also a fixture you can control with the NEBULA.
The usage of the WS2801 protocol has the advantage that this protocol provides a clock besides the data connection.
Leeman

Post by Leeman »

Hello sir
We are doing a club project 5000 pixels ,which madrix key we need ?
With spi leds do we need to install Artnet between led strips and nebula for fastening it’s frame rate ?
I am sending u a link we going apply that format and we need same results but on small scale , I mean to ask without ultimate same results could be delivered or not ?
https://m.14dd5266c70789bdc806364df4586335-gdprlock/watch?v=UHC9E0FSzDM
Guertler
Support
Support

Post by Guertler »

Hello Leeman,

When you want to control 5000 RGB pixels with MADRIX, you will need a MADRIX 5 KEY basic. With the MADRIX KEY basic you are bale to control up to 32 DMX universes. In your case you will need 30 DMX universes because 5000 RGB pixels x 3 colors per pixel = 15,000 needed DMX channels in total. 15,000 DMX channels / 512 channels per universe = 30 needed DMX universes.

When you are working with SPI fixtures it is recommend to use Art-Net between the PC and the NEBULA to reduce the distance between the output of the NEBULA and the first pixel of the tape. If this distance is to long, unwanted interferences can be added to the data signal and the LEDs flicker.

The MADRIX 5 software is always the same equals which MADRIX 5 KEY is connected. So you can create the same creative effects with all MADRIX KEYs.
Leeman

Post by Leeman »

Hello again dear ,
In our previous conversation regarding SPI LEDS ..... we now jump up to dmx leds strips for better quality and show ..... now I have question regarding using interface ... choosing between Artnet( 40 FPS) or nebula ( 100 FPS) is it right for nebula ?
What will be the difference in output from DMX LEDS IP65 ...while playing on madrix ?
Do Artnet which is 40 FPS RUN SLOWER than nebula ?
Do Artnet interface make effects less cooler ?
Mainly what will be the difference in outcome ?
Waiting for your reply
Thanks
Guertler
Support
Support

Post by Guertler »

Hello Leeman,

The NEBULA is a network to SPI interface. That means you can send the data from the controller to the NEBULA via Art-Net or sACN. So the sending frame rate between an Art-Net node and the NEBULA is the same. Now it depends on the used Art-Net node if it supports a higher frame rate than the recommended of 44,1 FPS. The NEBULA it self is able to receive data with a frame rate of 100 FPS.

For MADRIX there is no difference in creating the effects when you have connected a NEBULA or another Art-Net node. Of course you have to configure the Art-Net node in the MADRIX "Device Manager". After MADRIX has found the Art-Net node and you have assigned the desired DMX universes for every port you have to create the desired patch and you can create the MADRIX effects.

The Art-Net protocol is one of the standard protocols in the live lighting industrie. It is only respondsible for transporting the desired data information from the sender to the receiver. It is not respondsible for the coolness of the look and feel of the represented lighting effect.