Usable signal distance for data output?

DLG

Usable signal distance for data output?

Post by DLG »

The LED bars I am using are constructed in 4" increments with a UCS8904 chip. 4" pixels times 4 universes strung in a line would be just over 170'. Assuming the shielded cable between the Nebula and the first chip would be within 30', will there be any issues with all 170' of LEDs working properly?

I am new to SPI data. Better schooled in DMX fixtures.

Thank you for any insight with this topic.
Guertler
Support
Support

Re: Usable signal distance for data output?

Post by Guertler »

Hello DLG,

If you are using a shielded twisted pair cable, a distance of 30' should be no problem. At the twisted pair you have to connect the GND and Data of the NEBULA output to the input of the desired LED tape.
Please note: Not only the distance and the used cable are crucial. Also interferences in the environment will influence the SPI signal. That means to be sure it will work for 100 percent you have to test it on site.

You also have to know every SPI chip will amplify the received data package at the output. So the total length of the desired LED installation should also work if there is no a big distance inbetween the different LED tapes. If there is a gap between two LED tapes a shielded twisted pair cable is also recommended.

I hope this will help you.
DLG

Re: Usable signal distance for data output?

Post by DLG »

Hi Guertler,

Thank you for the reply. That is the information I needed.