Multiple copies of the same pixel in patch

reporter

Multiple copies of the same pixel in patch

Post by reporter »

Hi,

Is there a rule that Madrix follows to determine what data gets sent to a pixel when you have multiple copies of the pixel (at the same address) in your patch.

I am trying to do an installation, and thought I would try to recreate my patch in different layouts. Surprisingly, it seems to follow some sort of HTP (highest takes precedence rule), or does it merge the data from different patch pixels with the same address before sending it out? I had thought it might cause flicker as it tried to send both black and a different colour to the same address, but it doesn't.

I know that many people have asked about dynamic patching in Madrix, and this could allow you to create different patch areas within your main patch, and use the mapping function to choose what patch you output to.

Can you provide some insight into how Madrix merges the data? I thought I remembered seeing a HTP fixture, but when I looked, I couldn't find anything in the fixture library.

Thanks,

Nathan
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Re: Multiple copies of the same pixel in patch

Post by Fritzsche »

Hi Nathan,

Thank you for your post.

First of all, it is important to note that MADRIX 3 and MADRIX 5 are working differently in this case.

From the release notes of MADRIX 5.0: 'Fixtures and their fixture profiles are now always automatically used in HTP mode.'

So, yes, doing different layouts in one patch is absolutely possible as you describe it and has already been used.
It was also possible with MADRIX 3, but then you could actually end up with flickering pixels when using fixture profiles that didn't have 'HTP' activated (which was the default back then). Since now it is active by default, dynamic patches have become in fact easier to create. (You should always mind the total matrix size in relation to the system's performance.)

(If you have a fast system –especially with an SSD or NVMe– and a small Patch, you could also import a different Patch via script.)

Thanks!
reporter

Post by reporter »

Hi!

Thanks for the clarification.

That is great news, and I can imagine many ways to do innovative programming by duplicating my pixels and placing them in different ways. I was pretty sure I tested this in V3, and did witness the flicker as the outcome.

Looking forward to V 5.1. Spout and NDI! When do you think it will be released?

Thanks!

Nathan
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Post by Fritzsche »

Hi Nathan,

If all goes according to plan (which it rarely does ;), it should be relatively soon as we are aiming for Q2.