really need dedicated GPU?

Pecotic

really need dedicated GPU?

Post by Pecotic »

Hi guys.

I'm assembling a small project. A grid made of led stripes. 1250 leds in total, so 8 universes only.
The matrix size will be 100x120x max. (Not sure it that affects the matrix size dramatically but there are two layers - vertical and horizontal obviously)
Since all the calculation is done in the CPU, is it really a need for a didcated GPU?? No live show will be done, only triggering pre programmed scenes via a midi pad, so no preview is needed at all.
I'd rather invest in a better CPU then...

Also, how good is madrix running with AMD? I only used Intel in the past.

Thanks a lot!
Pecotic

Re: really need dedicated GPU?

Post by Pecotic »

Anyone???
Guertler
Support
Support

Post by Guertler »

Hello Pecotic,

That's correct MADRIX is using the CPU to render all effects in realtime. The graphic card is used to display the effects at the internal and external previews.

It is recomended to use a dedicated graphic card to get the full power of the CPU to calculate the MADRIX effects and don't share the power and memory with the internal graphic card.

Of course in case of your explained project you can try to work without an dedicated graphic card. But without any guarantee. Please pay attention: The used internal graphic card must support OpenGL 2.1 and higher if you want to use the MADRIX previews.
Pecotic

Post by Pecotic »

thanks! i will try so!