How to make large 3d maps work smoothly

Mr Yang

How to make large 3d maps work smoothly

Post by Mr Yang »

Greetings!
Hello, I have a project, the map is 1100x680x40, the software version is madrix 5.4 maximum, and my computer configuration is
CPU: Xeon(R)Gold 6154*2
RAM:256GB
Graphics card:RTX3080*2
SSD:1T
Universes:1500
I have four effects that can't run smoothly: fire, flames, fluid and graph. When they work, FPS is lower than 15fps.
How can I guarantee the normal work? Do you have any good suggestions? Looking forward to your reply. :)
Guertler
Support
Support

Re: How to make large 3d maps work smoothly

Post by Guertler »

Hello Mr Yang,
Welcome to the MADRIX forum.

You want to output a patch resolution of 1100 x 680 x 40 voxels. Thats are in total 29,920,000 voxels. When we compare it with a Full HD resolution ( 1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600), we can see the resolution which sould be outputed is more than 14 times a Full HD resolution (29,920,000 / 2,073,600). This is a lot of data which needs to be transfered inside of the memory per frame. In case of this resolution round about 1.5 GB per frame must be transfered in the memory. 1.5 GB per frame means the PC must manage round about 50 GB per second if it should be rendered with 33.3 FPS (1.5 GB per frame x 33.3 frames per second).
The fastest DDR 4 RAM which is available at the moment has a transfer rate of 3200 MHz. Thats are 25.6 GB per second. That means no RAM on the market can handle this high data transfere rate.

It has nothing to do with the CPU or GPU performance of your system. Both of them are able to calculate this resolution. But the data transfer will be the bottleneck.

The only way to hanlde this setup is to reduce the resolution and snatch together the patch. If there are some gaps, reduce the gaps or change the placement of some fixtures. Of course in that case the preview will not represent the reality. It will work as technical preview.
Mr Yang

Post by Mr Yang »

Thanks you Guertler, I will continue testing according to your suggestions.
NotAnAudioGuy

Post by NotAnAudioGuy »

Good morning/afternoon/evening!

We're actually dealing with this same thing right now. We want to make the voxel matrix as big as possible without losing frame rate.

This is a great explanation and it helps a lot! How did you arrive at the 1.5G of memory transfer per frame? We want to try to apply that to our situation.

Thanks!