Advanced fixture creation

djpeterlewis

Advanced fixture creation

Post by djpeterlewis »

Hi,
I have a project to do in Madrix 5. We are going to purchased the Madrix Ultimate. I was hoping to understand which would be the best method to do the mapping and design of this fixture.

There are 38 rows of 60 LED's / m in various lengths. I would make fixtures for each row then add them sequentially or I was hoping to make a fixture of the whole area so that all the pixel alignments are perfect.

Is there a way to import a DXF file into the Fixture editor of the layout with the pixels and each of its Address input points ?

From what I understand from my past experience, it is only possible to make multiple fixtures. Just wanted to check before I do that incase there is an easier route.

Attached is what it all looks like

Thank you
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-14 at 10.43.00 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-14 at 10.43.00 PM.jpeg (49.59 KiB) Viewed 7462 times
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-14 at 3.26.01 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-14 at 3.26.01 AM.jpeg (135.26 KiB) Viewed 7462 times
Guertler
Support
Support

Re: Advanced fixture creation

Post by Guertler »

Hello djpeterlewis,
Welcome to the MADRIX Forum.

The MADRIX Fixture Editor can't a DXF file. But to realize this project I want to show you 2 options:

Option 1:
Create a fixture for all different pixel lines with the help of the Fixture Editor. Once you have created this fixtures you can patch them fixture by fixture respectively line by line at the MADRIX Patch Editor.
Because of the logic at the Fixture Editor you can create the fixture very fast.
How to create a fixture with the Fixture Editor you can learn under the following link:
https://help.madrix.com/tutorials/m5/HT ... e_fix.html

Option 2:
The MADRIX Patch Editor is able to import a fixture list from a CSV file. If you can convert the DXF file to CSV, you with import the fixture infomation in MADRIX directly. As fixture in MADRIX you can use the "!generic RGB Light 1 pixel".
If you don't know how to work with the fixture list import in MADRIX 5, you can have a look at the following link:
https://www.14dd5266c70789bdc806364df4586335-gdprlock/watch?v=CLg-oFI ... N&index=11
djpeterlewis

Post by djpeterlewis »

Thank you, I did already try this method

My problem is I cannot find anywhere the format of x y and z values. I thought it was pixels so I tried this

Code: Select all

Fixture Patch	DMX Mode	Position X	Position Y	Position Z	Universe	Channel	Orientation
VIP1-4	Normal	10	20	1	101	1	0
VIP1-4	Normal	82	56	1	101	100	90
Hoping it put it in line but I found it is all over the place. I presume that your is done in metres that is why there is a m behind it. I looked in all the manuals which told me nothing. Even the video does not explain it
Guertler
Support
Support

Post by Guertler »

Hello djpeterlewis,

Your assumption was correct. All coordinates in the Patch Editor are Pixel respectively Voxel based.
If you will import a fixture with a dimension more than one pixel, the imported position will reference the middle point of the fixture.
djpeterlewis

Post by djpeterlewis »

Ok , I have taken your advice and tried to run the map as single pixels. I will sort out the Universes later, I just wanted to check that if I put and x/y Co-ordinate into the spreadsheet, it will put the pixel in the correct spot. This is where I was have an understanding problem that my Fixtures were not going into the correct spot.

So I made just 2 lines of LED lights with consecutive x numbers and 2 different y values, hence 2 lines

I put one line on pixel line 20 starting at pixel 20 to pixel 45 and another one on pixel line 30 starting at pixel 18 and ending at pixel 43.

the result after the import was disappointing and the same problem I had before. Not putting them in the correct places.

Image of the result attached.

If I can find out why it puts it into the incorrect position , that would be helpful. Is there a formula which I can follow, surely it cannot be random

Thank you
Attachments
newway.png
newway.png (11.84 KiB) Viewed 7426 times
newway.rar
(274 Bytes) Downloaded 1595 times
Guertler
Support
Support

Post by Guertler »

Hello djpeterlewis,

By default, the software automatically crops/removes any empty spaces the data sets might produce regarding the start position. This means that the start position of the first fixture is set to 1 / 1 / 1 in order to reduce the Matrix Size. If you need to set your fixtures to a certain area, use this setting to enter the appropriate offset.

By using the Start Position X / Y / Z you can add the desired offset for X and Y.

'The full documentation about the CSV Fixture List import you can find under the following link:
https://help.madrix.com/m5/html/madrix/ ... mport.html
djpeterlewis

Post by djpeterlewis »

As it is default to crop it, how can I turn off that default ?
Guertler
Support
Support

Post by Guertler »

Hello djpeterlewis,

You can't disable the cropping of the CSV import.
But you can adjust the Start Position X/Y/Z to the desired start value.

The reason for cropping: If there is space at the front top left, you will waste PC performance and also the calculated MADRIX effects are out of the middle point. Because the empty space at the front top left will be part of the matrix size.