Artnet flooding or malformed packets? Artnet receiver crashes with madrix output

fred_dev

Artnet flooding or malformed packets? Artnet receiver crashes with madrix output

Post by fred_dev »

Hi I am using 300 universes of artnet and my artnet receivers are freezing on some channels. I am trying to Isolate the issue. When I restart the artnet receiver hardware all channels become active again.

I know that artnet 3 has a polling timeout of 3 seconds, and it seems that madrix listens to this poll as when I restart the hardware the units again start receiving artnet (I dont have to rescan devices). While I deal with manufacturers (I have a lot of Ltech 8 channel Artnet to DMX boxes) to understand if it is faulty unit has anyone had issues with malformed artnet packets coming from madrix that may cause the receivers to freeze?

Does anyone know of an artnet receiving software that can verify packet integrity?
Guertler
Support
Support

Re: Artnet flooding or malformed packets? Artnet receiver crashes with madrix output

Post by Guertler »

Hello fred_dev,

If the connected Art-Net node will freeze by sending data. Please double check:
  • Are you sending the date in Unicast mode? If you are sending data in Broadcast mode, please change to unicast.
  • In the MADRIX Device Manager you are able to change the Frame Time per port. By default MADRIX is sending a frame after 30 ms (33 FPS). Maybe this is too much trafic for the connected node. You can try to increase the frame time.
Once MADRIX has found the Art-Net node and you don't close MADRIX during disconnecting and connecting a node MADRIX will send the data to the node without searching again.
fred_dev

Re: Artnet flooding or malformed packets? Artnet receiver crashes with madrix output

Post by fred_dev »

After much messing around it turns out it was a dud hardware unit. In my testing though I did see that sometimes I would have to rescan the artnet devices to have Madrix find the device again after it was turned off. This was intermittent and could of course be the hardware not always sending the keep alive packet.