Semi-automatic scaling options with different matrices

This is the forum, where you can add your wishes and feature requests.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

Geert

Semi-automatic scaling options with different matrices

Post by Geert »

I would like to see some kind of mechanism that gives me the opportunity to use the same effects on different size matrices.

What i mean is:

i have let's say a matrix of 50x50 and program a show.

Now i want to use that same show on a matrix of 100x100. As things ar now the look of the effects changes. What i would like is when i resize the matrix, i get a dialogbox asking me if and how i would like the size, thickness etc to be rescaled, so they appear the same as on the smaller matrix, only with higher resolution. When not the same aspect-ratio i get the option to choose to scale to width or to height.
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Re: Semi-automatic scaling options with different matrices

Post by Wissmann »

Hi Geert,
Ok, original MADRIX already scales nearly each effect automatic as you know.
But some effects are pixel based (like the SCE Color Scroll for example) and some other are vector based (like the SCE Radial for example).
The vector based effects already do what you want to but do not take care about the aspect. Pixel based effects just scale to the new matrxi dimension and protect there pixel based settings.
So in our opinion it is always a question of the point of view and what i have in mind how the effect scaling should work.
So my question is what did you think about the possibility to have the option to decide by yourself how it works? And how to set it up inside MADRIX?
Because of the next evolution from MADRIX (3.x) we have the chance to discuss such kind of things.
I hope you give me a feedback as well about this questions ;-)
LEDs are nothing without control ;-)
Geert

Post by Geert »

About scaling

Vector-based effects do not scale, they just grow bigger.

Example: matrix 50x50 sce radial, length 10, factor 0, sine
Set the speed to 0. You can see ONE ring.

Now reset the matrix to 100x100. You can see TWO rings... NOT THE SAME LOOK.

To achive the same look (one ring) the lenght has to be set at 20. Thats what i mean with rescale: More or less pixels, same look.

The reason i think this is important is that led-matrices have many different dot-pitches, ranging from 1,6 cm to 10 cm or more. I just don't want to have to change the whole show to adjust for that. Another reason is we have a sound and lighting company, which ownes some led-matrices. But the size of the matrix depends on the size of the stage.

How it should/could work?

I think the goal for this should be that the 'look' of an effect should always be the same, regardless of the size/resolution of the matrix. I understand that it's difficult, especially with multiple linked layers, to identify which attributes of a layer have to be adjusted to keep that same look.

In the Matrix Generator-dialog you could add a region 'fit effects to matrix' with 2 toggles, one 'fit horizontal' and one 'fit vertical'.

When the aspect ratio is the same then either of the two gives the right scaling.

When the new matrix is wider or thinner than the original one you have three options:

Toggle none: Madrix behaves like it does now

toggle fit horizontal: In the above example (the one ring) the effect scales to the left and right of the matrix: ie in a 200x100 matrix the top and bottom of the circle are clipped. The length is set to 40

toggle fit vertical: In the above example (the one ring) the effect scales to the top and bottom of the matrix: ie in a 200x100 matrix parts of a second ring will appaer on the left and right of the original ring. The original ring has the height of the matrix. The length is set to 20

BTW: Best wishes, i thought you guys were on holidays...
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Post by Wissmann »

Ok, we will try to figure out what you mean, but i am sure there is something which is more difficult as you can imagine. As you know MADRIX do not only play content like videos or bitmaps which can be easy stretched it generates effects by himself, so for example to fit an effect on different matrix sizes with different aspect it is not ever possible and so on (a circle is a circle and not a elipse ;-).
But for sure we understand what you have in mind and it is in our interest too!
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Post by Wissmann »

Yes we are on hollidays ;-)
I wish a happy new year.