Maximum allowed lengh between Nebula and WS2815 stripe

Partyschorschi

Maximum allowed lengh between Nebula and WS2815 stripe

Post by Partyschorschi »

Hi!

I'm Building an indirect lighting construction on several meters of 100mm metal Cable-Trays. As there is only limited space I would like to put the Nebulas on either a central Position (server-rack) or some more central positions where I can split from.

To put it directly into the tray: I dont think that it will look nice later! I have already to install the 12V DC supplies on these positions every 5m.

So my Question is: What is the maximum distance i can run with a cable between Nebula and SPI-Stripe AND what Kind of cable can you recommend (shilded)?

Thanks for your helpfull answers!
Schulze
Support
Support

Re: Maximum allowed lengh between Nebula and WS2815 stripe

Post by Schulze »

Hi Partyschorschi,

Welcome to the MADRIX Forum.

The max. recommended wire length between NEBULA and LEDs or between LEDs depends on the protocol, signal frequency, cable cross-section, and cable shielding.

You should use a shielded twisted pair cable for the data transmission (for example CAT5E SF-UTP). Therefore the cable length for a transmission frequency of 800 kHz (WS2815) should not expire approx. 50 m. Please note that you only need to connect DATA and GND with a twisted pair cable.

The higher the frequency, the lower the length should be from NEBULA to the stripes.

I hope this helps you. Have a nice day!
Partyschorschi

Post by Partyschorschi »

Great!

50meters is a number I can work with and would solve already some issues :-)

Thank you!
harrybrooks

Post by harrybrooks »

The maximum allowed length between Nebula and WS2815 LED strip depends on various factors, including the power supply, wiring quality, and signal integrity.

In general, WS2815 LED strips use a data transmission protocol called "One Wire" or "Data Signal Repeating." This allows for longer signal transmission distances compared to traditional WS2812B LED strips. The WS2815 strip has built-in ICs that can regenerate the signal, reducing the impact of signal degradation over long distances.

However, it is recommended to keep the length between the Nebula controller and the WS2815 LED strip within a reasonable range to ensure optimal performance. As a guideline, it is advisable to keep the length below 5 meters (16.4 feet) to minimize the risk of signal loss or interference.

If you need to cover longer distances, you can use signal repeaters or amplifiers to boost the signal along the LED strip. These devices can help extend the maximum length of the installation while maintaining signal integrity.

Additionally, it is important to ensure that the power supply is adequately sized to handle the power requirements of the WS2815 LED strip over the desired length. Longer LED strips may require a higher voltage or larger power supply to ensure consistent brightness and color accuracy throughout the installation.

To determine the maximum allowed length between Nebula and the WS2815 LED strip in your specific setup, it is recommended to consult the product specifications provided by the manufacturer or seek guidance from technical support. They can provide more precise recommendations based on the specific characteristics of your LED strip and the intended installation.
Partyschorschi

Post by Partyschorschi »

Thanks for the hint! The installation is up and running already since end of 2019 with round about 20 Nebula and several hundred meters of WS2815