Madrix and LOR

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

cyberstalker292

Madrix and LOR

Post by cyberstalker292 »

There's been a couple threads about using Madrix to instant sequence light strings with Light O Rama controllers.
I'm very interested in this and was wondering how it works with several controllers all together.

The youtube example that everyone is familiar with shows how to use one 16 channel controller with 8 x 2 settings.
How do you set up more controllers?
Is it just a matter of multiplying the setting?

For instance if you have 10 controllers with 16 channels each, then you would set 80 x 2? Or 8 x 20?

I'm just using the demo mode until I'm sure it can do what I want.
In any case, each DMX universe translates to 256 single channels on LOR controllers correct?

If anyone has feedback or tips on their LOR/Madrix experiment, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
cyberstalker292

Re: Madrix and LOR

Oh, I forgot...... in other threads about using Madrix and LOR.... they talk about installing a patch. What does this mean? Is there a bit of software that needs to be installed to make it work? An extension to Madrix?

I'm totally new to Madrix, a noob question for sure.

Thanks again!
Guertler
Support
Support

Post by Guertler »

Hello cyberstalker292,
Welcom to the MADRIX forum.
When you will use several Light O Rama controllers for your light show you have to send a DMX signal to every LOR controller.
Therefor you have to set up a different start channel for each LOR controller. If this is possible please ask the LOR manufacturer.
If this is possible please set the first controller to DMX start channel 1, the second to DMX start channel 17 and so on. Now you have to connect the LOR controllers with DMX interface.
If it is possible to create a "DMX dasy chain" you can connect the DMX output of the first LOR controller with the DMX input of the second LOR controller and so on. Please ask also the LOR manufacturer if this is possible.
If it is not possible you can use a DMX splitter. Please connect the input of the DMX splitter with the output of the DMX interface. Now you have to connect each output of the DMX splitter with the DMX input of the LOR controller.
Now back to MADRIX.
I recommend as USB DMX interface a MADRIX NEO. Because the MADRIX NEO is a USB-DMX interface which allows you to send 512 DMX channels and also the MADRIX license for 512 DMX channels is included.
In MADRIX you have to create the patch first. The patch is very important because in the patch you have to configure the position of each LED. In the following tutorial links you can learn how you can create a patch in MADRIX:
http://help.madrix.com/tutorials/html/i ... patch.html
http://help.madrix.com/tutorials/html/i ... tures.html
After creating the patch you are able to create you desired MADRIX effects.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again!
Thank you.
cyberstalker292

Thanks for the info.

I haven't got it working yet, but I keep trying :)
cyberstalker292

Oh you asked a few questions:

Yes you can set the channels to anything you want with LOR controllers, and yes they daisy chain together. My controller is set to DMX 1.

Is there a way to blast out Madrix/DMX signals over a USB interface without a USB DMX controller?

The LOR controllers work by a USB to RJ45 converter and all signals are over the ethernet. The controllers themselves have built in DMX controllers. If there's a way of doing that it eliminates the need for a USB DMX controller and a DMX to RJ45 converter to get Madrix to like it.

Thanks!
Guertler
Support
Support

Post by Guertler »

Hello cyberstalker292,
Thank you for the feedback.
In MADRIX it is possible to send DMX data via Art-Net or via a supported USB-DMX interface.
It is not possible to send the DMX data via USB to RJ45.
In your case you have to use a DMX interface like the MADRIX NEO and to use one of the XLR to RJ45 converter.
cyberstalker292

Ah, I see.

Thanks!

I bought a KingDmx unit (it's on the approved list) and will give that a try.

By the time I get this working, I'll write up a "How to" for getting LOR and Madrix to play nice together :lol:

One interesting thing is, by having to fight with the LOR boxes, I'm getting a better understanding of what Madrix does. This is very cool software.
That Neo is really neat...... but the upgradeable Key really appeals to me. Once I verify this will do what I want = It's the Key Version for me 8)
zeighty

Post by zeighty »

I have not visited the forums lately...

I am setting up my Madrix controlled show using 32 LOR channels (2 controllers) in 15 minutes... Lights are up. Matrix is defined and I did a limited test...

I will post results tonight or tomorrow.
I am using DMXKing dongle. I ordered 2 to have one as a backup. It works great in Madrix.
zeighty

Post by zeighty »

I did get my mini trees setup and cranked up Madrix. I think I am going to really like this way of controlling the controllers. Still got lots of stuff to do. The trees are RGBW and I am having a problem with seeing good results with the White channels.
More later.
zeighty

Post by zeighty »

Big changes for my show.
Back to LOR software. I did not like the results of using Madrix. It may be my lack of fully understanding how it works. I have been trying to learn it since I purchased it in early June. Every song required some kind of tweak. It got too confusing. I could not figure out why my W channel of my RGBW fixtures would not work when using M2L color change or other "color" type options.
Unless I can work out next year to use it I have a very expensive mistake on my hands.