Chauvet Motion Drape

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

pcarey

Chauvet Motion Drape

Post by pcarey »

Hello I'm a newbie to Madrix and like what i see!
Is it possible to control a Chauvet motion drape 3m x 2m led curtain it has 176 tri-colour SMD LEDs matrixed across the 6.5ft-by-9.8ft backdrop it can be controlled via the included controller or via DMX, can this be controlled with Madrix software?
I’m looking at the Neo and wonder has anyone used this to add text or effects to a curtain.
Any help / advice would be greatly welcomed
Thank you
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Re: Chauvet Motion Drape

Post by Fritzsche »

Hi!

Thanks for your feedback!
I know there are numerous users out there using MADRIX with a curtain or LED cloth backdrop.

And I just checked the Chauvet MotionDrape user manual. Yes, the drape can be controlled via DMX, but this functionality is very limited.

From what I have seen, you could set the RED, GREEN, and BLUE color channel for the curtain. But that would mean the whole curtain would be used as 1 pixel only. And this is not what you would be looking for.

In addition, you can use DMX to trigger the built-in and preprogrammed effects and visuals. But all in all, the configuration of the drape does not allow MADRIX to control each pixel/LED indiviudally in order to create new lighting patterns and effects.

I am sorry to say this, but I don't think it can be properly controlled with MADRIX.

Anything else I could help you with?
pcarey

Post by pcarey »

Hello
Many Thanks for the very detailed and speedy reply,
it is very much appreciated.
It’s a pity but not the end of the world!!
I Just wonder the same question regarding scrolling text on a batch of Chauvet COLORpalette led
(6 to 27-channel DMX LED bank system, with blackout/static/dimmer/strobe, RGB Colour mixing, colour fade, and automatic programs with built-in sound activation.)
Many Thanks again
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Post by Fritzsche »

You are welcome!

It seems that you are looking for a LED fixture that fits your needs. I can recommend contacting MADRIX resellers in your area/country, who sell LED products. I am sure you can work something out with their help!

Now to the Chauvet COLORpalette. It is probably not the best product for scrolling text.

The largest DMX operating mode (27 channels) would allow you to control 8 individual sections. They have some pictures online, where you could see how that could look like. Again, that means that you cannot control each individual pixel. Additionally, it seems that the LEDs are located next to each other (2 Red, 1 Blue, 1 Green) and not in one spot, which would add further problems when trying to display text. I don't think it makes sense for scrolling text...
pcarey

Post by pcarey »

Once again great information and thank you very much.

I’m going to start with some ADJ Flash 16 panels and see where it brings me!
Iam looking at Madrix Neo to control these or should I look at something else perhaps.

I think I got the BUG!!

Thanks
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Post by Fritzsche »

I'm glad we could help!

The combination of ADJ Flash Panels and MADRIX NEO is quite something. If you want to have a preview, make sure to watch this video: http://www.14dd5266c70789bdc806364df4586335-gdprlock/watch?v=g33dMySW6Jc

It shows a number of panels and MADRIX in action. The MADRIX NEO is definitively a good fit!

One ADJ Flash Panel requires 48 DMX channels. That means, that you can control up to 10 of those panels with 1 MADRIX NEO. If you would like to have a bigger setup, that is no problem since you can use several NEOs at the same time. The choice is yours! Have fun!
bpark1000

Post by bpark1000 »

How about this? I bought 4 curtains, stripped 3 of them, and put the LEDs into the 4th one, doubling the resolution to 31 x 21. I reverse engineered the protocol, and built a new control box, which I control from a PC through a slow serial link. I can draw logos, letters, and can do "wipes" and other effects. I just got this going, so I have more code to write. The only problem I have is my processor speed. It takes me 50 milliseconds to update the image. Do you have any more details on the protocol?
pcarey

Post by pcarey »

Hello BPark
That sounds fantastic I wonder if you have a video of your great project I would love to see this curtain in action.
Best of luck with the project.
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Post by Fritzsche »

Hi bpark1000,

Thanks for sharing details about this project of yours! But are you sure this is the right place for you?

It certainly is an interesting project, but you are taking two products sold on the market (Chauvet LED drapes and MADRIX), reverse engineer them and even replace them.

No matter your intentions, but I don't think Chauvet would appreciate this and neither do we due to a wealth of reasons from our perspective and our customers' view.

We can imagine that you came across the problems you describe. And our team has been offering powerful, affordable, and most importantly working solutions for 7 years already.
led-cloth.com

Post by led-cloth.com »

We have a perfect solution for this Motion Drape compatible with the Madrix.
Maybe we can give you some hlep