Setlist mode

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

boff

Setlist mode

Post by boff »

Hey guys,

I've got myself 18 LED tubes for a band's live setup and I've just started exploring the Madrix demo, which to me is by far the best solution for me. Man, they're so cool!! Not a lighting guy myself so this world is pretty new to me.

So the idea is that this band will travel the lighting setup and control/trigger lights themselves via a SoftStep midi footcontroller. I've mapped control changes to cue list items, so button 1 will activate cue 1, button 2, cue 2 etc. What I'd love to do is create a separate cue list for every song - essentially some kind of setlist mode that is organised to reflect the setlist of the night. A band member can step through the various cues for a song, and then hit a button that loads up the next song with a whole set a different cues. On another night when the setlist is completely different, there needs to be a way to easily change the order of the songs.

I do have a workaround in my head that I can't test because I don't (yet) own the SoftStep midi pedal I mentioned. It *may* be possible to create all scenes across all 120 storage places and rearrange the control change values being sent from the SoftStep pedal. This is assuming this process is quick and easy.. which it never is in my experience! But then nothing worth doing is easy :wink:

Perhaps I've overlooked a feature of Madrix that achieves exactly what I'm after. Or maybe there's some other software that can run alongside Madrix...? Any ideas?
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Re: Setlist mode

Post by Fritzsche »

Hey!

Thank you for your feedback!

MADRIX is first and foremost a live tool. That also relates to being controlled live.

As such, I don't think there is an easy way to achieve what you are looking for. I think you have understood very well what you can do with MADRIX in this case. And I would like to thank you for taking the time to get to know the demo version!

Reprogramming the MIDI controls in MADRIX every time is probably not an efficient way. I don't think it will work very good as it is not quick and easy enough for this.

This is what I have come up with instead:

I would suggest to create all scenes across 120 Storage Places, as you suggested. Then, I would programm the MIDI controller not to each individual Cue, but to do "Next Cue", "Back", "Start/Stop Cue List", i.e. the general controls.

In the Cue List I would create an individual Cue List for each song. The Cue List itself has a "Open And Append" feature. That means if you need to rearrange the songs, you can load each individual Cue List and append it in order to create a large Cue List for the night.

This is all I have so far.
Thank you.