Best way to receive straight time code.

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

DProvorse

Best way to receive straight time code.

Post by DProvorse »

Gentleman,

Long time no see, which is a good thing and generally means everything is great lol!

I have some major upgrades coming on several of my larger installs which is going to be requiring me to sync to straight time code. I'm well aware of how to work with the code inside of Madrix for cue lists and such but my question is regarding getting the time code into your software.

Right now I basically have a set of audio leads coming out of a DSP that's providing my audio with embedded time code. I really hate to specify a console or massive MIDI controller to do nothing more than capture this audio basically and convert the time code over to MTC unless I have to.

Do you have any suggestions on getting the raw data into Madrix? These systems run full stand alone basically with the only user control being the ability to fire a few presets from a third party control system via ArtNet incoming.

Thanks in advance!
Dustin
Guertler
Support
Support

Re: Best way to receive straight time code.

Post by Guertler »

Hello DProvorse,
At the moment MADRIX can receive MIDI and Art-Net time code to synchronize a MADRIX show.
So you have to use a converter which converts a embeded audi time code to MTC.
I would like to know:
Do you want to use an external audio player which provides the SMPTE time code and synchronize MADRIX with SMPTE?
I'm looking forward to hearing from you!
Thank you.
DProvorse

Post by DProvorse »

Guertler,

Thanks for the reply, I'm well aware of the ability for Madrix to receive the time code as either MTC or Art-Net Time Code but my current issue is deciding the best path to get it there.

On all of these cases they are installed in extremely large property's with large quantities of distributed audio and lighting. The audio is coming out of a dedicated player which resides in the data center and is outputting just everyday balanced audio. ( SMTPE can be embedded into the WAV files before they are loaded or we can easily split the track and run SMTPE on the left side and regular audio on the right, the entire property is mono )

We capture the incoming audio from the player and drop it into the DSP's which then convert it to CobraNet / Dante for distribution.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to capture that time code directly at the player and then convert to streaming ethernet for distribution to the multiple Madrix systems living in different comm rooms.

Any recommendations on a hardware piece than can capture from live balanced audio and convert to streaming Art-Net Time Code or if we have to go MIDI what's our options there for ethernet distribution.

I'm used to working in MIDI in local connections but with this being spread over such massive properties I have to rely on ethernet to get it out through the datacenter.

Thanks again!

Dustin
DProvorse

Post by DProvorse »

Found the solution.

For anyone else in the same boat in the future I found a company called KissBox that makes a SMTPE to streaming ethernet converter and also supplies the drivers for the traffic to show up in your host machine as additional MIDI ports.

The website for them is http://www.kissbox.nl/products_new.html and the part is a TC2TR - LTC & MTC/MIDI Tranceiver

Thanks again!
Dustin