Best version and solution

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

iT3

Best version and solution

Post by iT3 »

Hello!

Thanks in advance

Amazing program firstly.

Which version is best for my needs.

I intend to design and build an installation using LED RGB strip (WS 2801). I wish to control each LED as a pixel.

What version should I be purchasing?

Many thanks
Bichuch

Re: Best version and solution

Post by Bichuch »

iT3 wrote: What version should I be purchasing?
You must purchase not only some version of Madrix, but additional interface hardware too!
There is information about it in the forum:
http://www.madrix.com/en/home/forum/for ... f,1/t,553/
iT3

Post by iT3 »

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I understand that.

I have been intouch with Jim at SanDevices. He has recommended the E682 board.

Out of interest. Are the DMX strip lights able to recognise the DMX signalling without the need for a decoder? I keep getting different answers from people as soon as I mention using Madrix as the software. I'm confused lol
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Post by Fritzsche »

The answer to your question "Are the DMX strip lights able to recognise the DMX signalling without the need for a decoder?" would be:

That depends on the LED stripes. Some stripes do recognize DMX signals without a decoder, but I think in most cases they don't.

And to answer your first question:

That depends on the number of pixels you wish to control. There are different products available for different needs. Let us know the number of pixels and we will help you out.

Thanks!
iT3

Post by iT3 »

I'm looking to control 5000 pixels.

Thank you for you help, it's much appreciated.
Bichuch

Post by Bichuch »

iT3 wrote:Are the DMX strip lights able to recognise the DMX signalling without the need for a decoder?
I think, they are. In other case, why that lights were named "DMX"?
But about stripes... In my opinion, there are LED stripes of two sorts:
1. Simple 4-wire ("R","G","B","Common"), i.e. without per-pixel control.
2. Smart 3...6 wire ("+","-","Data","Clock",...), i.e. with per-pixel contol and with special ICs, placed in serial along strip. Such device requires additional interface hardware.
And I do not know about "DMX strips"...
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Post by Fritzsche »

Ok, 5000 pixels it is.

When you are using RGB LEDs, then we are looking at controlling 5000 x 3 colors = 15000 DMX channels.

And 15000 DMX channels are 29,3 DMX universes. So we are talking about controlling nearly 30 DMX universes. You would need a "MADRIX KEY professional" to drive all of those.
Ismal

Post by Ismal »

iT3 wrote: Out of interest. Are the DMX strip lights able to recognise the DMX signalling without the need for a decoder? I keep getting different answers from people as soon as I mention using Madrix as the software. I'm confused lol
You will always need some type of decoder to interface with your strips.

If you want to control using dmx for example, Ledwalker sells pixel strips with dmx decoders already 'integrated' in the strips, or you can get the strips and the decoders seperatly. Based on my experience, it is more costly to get the integrated dmx decoders (than the strip and separate decoder), but on the other hand, you save time doing wiring, and space also.
Bichuch

Post by Bichuch »

Ismal wrote:for example, Ledwalker sells pixel strips with dmx decoders already 'integrated' in the strips
Thank you for information!