Wireless how-to basics

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

libbycgray

Wireless how-to basics

Post by libbycgray »

I'm a new Madrix client (I haven't even taken delivery of the Eurolite curtains I'll be running or my key yet, thought the bill has been paid). I'm starting tutorials, but I have to -immediately- order the laptop from which I'll be running the curtains.
I have the Madrix specs from this website (purchasing Win 7 -64 bit machine, dual core 2.6 G processor, lots of RAM, 240 Gig disk, etc) but although I am starting the system on a Cat6 cable to AIO boxes onstage, I will probably want to convert to wireless transmission at some point.
We are not planning on multiple layers, and will not run complex content by today's standards. We will be starting with static jpeg or bitmap images. When/if we want quicktime movies to run, I can spec video content frame rates, resolution, etc, limited by what it is possible to broadcast wirelessly, to our video designers. The content has not yet been designed.
However, I don't know the basic laptop specs required to transmit wirelessly, and I want to purchase the appropriate computer right now, so we can grow into this capability later. I am an LD, not an IT tech. Can anyone give me best-guess minimum system requirements for wireless transmission for (1) Quicktime movie, transmitting to (1) receiver, at a distance of 120' from FOH to stage? Is this even an internal computer spec, or will it later be all about the router/ network speed? Is there anything anyone can tell me that I need to know RIGHT NOW before I drop $1500+ on a laptop to run this? Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks, Libby Gray, Styx
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Re: Wireless how-to basics

Post by Fritzsche »

Hi!

Thank you for this detailed report.
Please allow me to share some tips.

1) Which pixel resolution do the curtains have? If they have a high resolution and a high pixel pitch, a 2.6GHz machine might not be enough.

2) If you want to run a lot of video content and large video files, a SDD might be advisable to quickly load and run the videos from the harddisk.

3) Using wireless transmission for Eurolite curtains / AIO boxes is, I am sorry, not a good idea. This will not work as the network protocol is not a standard one and works a bit differently.

Thank you.
cg

Re: Wireless how-to basics

Post by cg »

As you mention "FoH" and "Stage" I would say forget anything wireless. With lots of people and nearly everyone with a smarthone inbetwenn all the common wireless networking (2,4GHz) won't work. Might work for setup but not for the show.