DMX Merge ranges

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

djtoast

DMX Merge ranges

Post by djtoast »

Hi. I want to use Chamsys to control the movement of some moving heads, and Madrix to pixel map the front of them. In theory I think I could do it either way around but it looks slightly easier to send the output from Chamsys into Madrix.

I already have DMX going in that way around to act as a remote control triggering the left storage place through a USBone and that's working nicely. The moving heads are patched in the same universe in Chamsys as the Madrix personality and it LOOKS from the setup dialogue like i can check both "remote" AND "mapping" at the same time rather than having to do the two things separately, does that sound right? I do have another spare USBone if necessary but since the relevant DMX is going through the remote one anyway...? (Sorry, although I keep the demo version of Madrix on my laptop for playing around, I can't try this stuff out properly until I'm back in the venue with the actual hardware!)

My other question is about the exact channels to map - do they all have to be contiguous? From the Tutorial page is seems you can assign a range "from" [x] "to" [y] BUT if at all possible I'd like to assign THREE ranges — that would make it easy for Madrix to send the pan and tilt on for the three relevant fixtures, and ignore everything else (there's another dozen moving heads on that Chamsys universe that Madrix doesn't need to know about haha), plus I'd like to merge onto an existing universe / cable that has lots of other stuff on it already controlled by Madsrix, with addresses that would conflict with the Chamsys patching. So (asking the impossible I expect) it would save me a LOT of work if Madrix can take the whole output from Chamsys universe 1, ignore everything except e.g. channels 73-92, 145-33, & 217-236, merge those channels into the Madrix programming for the dozen batons that are also on Madrix universe 1... does that make sense?

Obviously I could re-patch everything so that the three moving heads use contiguous channels but there's a few reasons I'd rather not, not least consistency with the other universes Madrix runs.

In an ideal world I'd maybe put these three lights on their own Chamsys universe and their own madrix universe but getting the cabling done for that would be fairly hard.

Any hope for me? :D
Guertler
Support
Support

Re: DMX Merge ranges

Post by Guertler »

Hello djtoast,
Yes, it is possible to merge the DMX Input in the MADRIX Software with the help of a MADRIX USBone interface.
When you want to merge the DMX-Input data in MADRIX you have to enable the mapping function in the DMX Input tab of the MADRIX Device Manager. In the following link you can learn more about the DMX Input:
http://help.madrix.com/m3/html/madrix/i ... l_dmx.html
When you want to merge the DMX data of 3 different areas and also control MADRIX remotely you can do this in MADRIX in the following way:
1.) The Please choose the plugged USBone as "DMX-IN Device" for the first DMX Universe in the DMX Input tab and Enable the option "Remote". Now please choose the desired "Remote Control" protocol.
2.) In this step select the second DMX input universe in the DMX input list. For this universe please choose also the same USBone as "DMX-IN Device". Now Enable the Option "Mapping". In the "Mapping" section please change the "Map Channels From" to the desired start channel of the mapping (in your example it is 73), than change the "To" to the desired end channel (in your example it is 92). No change "To Universe" to the desired output universe, also change the "Start Channel At" to the desired start channel (in your example it is 73).
3.) Now select the third DMX input universe in the DMX input list. Again choose the same USBone as "DMX-IN Device" and Enable "Mapping". Please change the "Mapping" settings to the desired values like described in step 2 but with the customized values for this DMX input area.
4.) Now you have to select the fourth DMX input universe in the DMX input list. Please choose the same USBone like in the other three universes and Enable "Mapping". Also for this universe you have to change the "Mapping" settings with the customized values for this DMX area.