How to trigger a cue list in Madrix? (I am new in Madrix)

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

Fr. Electronius

How to trigger a cue list in Madrix? (I am new in Madrix)

Post by Fr. Electronius »

Dear friends,
I own a Madrix Neo.
I want to create a show (sequence of effects programmed in Madrix) that will accompany a piece of music played in computer. I assume that Madrix cue list is the appropriate tool. My problem is how to synchronize the start of my cue list with the start of the piece of music. The ideal would be triggering of my cue list exactly when the music starts. Do I need to use any other special equipment? I need help urgently...
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Re: How to trigger a cue list in Madrix? (I am new in Madrix

Post by Fritzsche »

Hi!
Welcome to this Forum and thank you for choosing MADRIX!
You could synchronize both with the help of Time Code. Can your music player receive or send Time Code?
If it can send MIDI Time Code or Art-Net Time Code, the Cue List can receive this.
If it can receive Time Code, you can use the MADRIX Time Code Sender to send it to the music player and MADRIX. Learn more: http://help.madrix.com/m3/html/madrix/h ... _tool.html
If it cannot send or receive Time Code, you could use an audio software that can. Examples include TimecodeSyncAudioPlayer in combination with MADRIX Time Code Sender or more advanced applications, such as MAGIX Samplitude, Steinberg Cubase, NI Traktor (please double-check if they have this feature).
If the music player can receive MIDI, you could also use MIDI to trigger/start both, the music player and MADRIX.
Thanks!
Fr. Electronius

Post by Fr. Electronius »

Dear Fritzsche,

thank you very much for your very fast reply. My problem is solved!!!

I tried TimecodeSyncAudioPlayer and I triggered both a .wav file and my cue list (Art-Net Enable and activation of External in the Time Code section of the Cue List) with Time Code Sender of Madrix.

Thank you again very much for your help once more!!!
jholmes

Post by jholmes »

My issue with the AudioSyncPlayer is it takes a couple seconds to start up and we can't scrub the audio with timecode. How do we know we are syncing perfectly if the playback is going to be delayed?
Guertler
Support
Support

Post by Guertler »

Hello jholmes,
Can you please explain this time code problem more detailed?
Thank you.
jholmes

Post by jholmes »

I will do my best to explain further:

When you tell AudioSyncPlayer to trigger a song at 1:00:00:00, it receives the command at 1:00:00:00 but doesn't load the song instantly. Therefore, the songs begins playing approximately 1-2 seconds past the time-stamp you actually wanted it to play.

Additionally, once it does play, it is only free-wheeling (aka, playing without any relation to the timecode). If the time-code stops, the song keeps going, so it's not actually in sync.

This makes me nervous to use the program in the field since perfect synchronization with the music is required for my application.
Guertler
Support
Support

Post by Guertler »

Hello jholmes,
I understand. So the problem is based on the used Audio Player and not based in MADRIX.
MADRIX will work according to the received timecode. If there is a delay during playing the audio file MADRIX can not know it. If you can calculate the delay manually you can setup the calculated delay in every entry of the MADRIX Cue List.
But I think the better way is to search for another Timecode-Audio player in the interenet. There are some MIDI and Art-Net Timecode player on the market.